A bone marrow transplant specialist is a doctor who performs transplant procedures wherein the healthy stem cells are transplanted into the patient’s blood or bone marrow. This procedure is done to kill cancer cells within the human body. The treatment is essential to treat patients with the following cancerous and non-cancerous diseases:
- Acute leukaemia
- Aplastic anaemia
- Bone marrow failure syndromes
- Chronic leukaemia
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Inborn errors of metabolism
- Immune deficiencies
- Multiple myeloma
- Myelodysplastic syndromes
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Polyneuropathy, Organomegaly, Endocrinopathy, Monoclonal gammopathy and Skin abnormalities (POEMS) syndrome
- Plasma cell disorders
- Primary amyloidosis
This procedure is complex and hence selecting the right specialist is vital to avoid adverse effects on the body and to treat patients with cancerous and non-cancerous diseases. The following are five ways to determine the right doctor for the BMT.
1. Get Referrals
An effective way to select the best bone transplant doctor is by getting referrals. Ask your friends and family if they are familiar with a good bone transplant doctor who provides optimum treatment at reasonable bone marrow transplant costs in India. Referrals will help the patients understand the expertise of a specific doctor in detail before they make a decision.
2. Consult the Doctors Of A Reputed Transplant Centre
A transplant centre’s reputation depends on the treatment they provide. If a transplant centre has a good reputation, it is evident that the doctors provide the best-in-class treatment using modern equipment and the latest technology. Patients can consider getting treated by the BLK-Max hospital doctors as they are proficient in their services and deploy the latest techniques for BMT.
They offer excellent care to the patients using integrated clinical practices. The BMT team at the hospital includes:
- Clinical haematologists
- Bone marrow transplant scheduling coordinator
- Transfusion medicine experts
- Trained and specialised nurses
- Paediatric haemato-oncologist
- Physician assistants
The team performs different types of bone marrow transplants, such as:
- Allogeneic Transplantation
- Umbilical Cord Blood Transplantation
- Matched Unrelated Donor (MUD) Transplantation
- Reduced Intensity Conditioning Transplantation
- Autologous Transplantation
- Haploidentical Donor Transplantation
Providing such comprehensive care and diversified treatments, the doctors at BLK Max hospital are well-skilled and a good choice for bone marrow transplant procedures.
3. Know the Success Rate of the Centre
Knowing the success rate of a transplant centre is crucial to understanding how reliable the doctors are for bone marrow transplantation. Some bone marrow treatments can be complex, and if the specialist is not proficient, then the outcome of the treatment may be uncertain.
BLK Max hospital has over 125 specialists and was the first in New Delhi to perform ‘Unrelated Donor Stem Cell Transplant’ for Thalassemia Major. The doctors at BLK Max have conducted over 650 transplants within four years and have a success rate of over 80%.
4. Check the Experience of the Specialist
A bone marrow transplant specialist should have many years of experience in this field. The more years of experience, the better their service will be. It is because, with experience, the doctors learn to deal with complex operations and problems during the treatment. They address the problem effectively and make the right medical decision before the procedure. They also check the patient’s condition and the severity of the disease; based on it, they perform the right procedure for their treatment.
The doctors at BLK Max are experienced and have performed many bone marrow transplant surgeries in the past. Here’s a list of the top doctors:
- Dr. Dinesh Bhurani: He has performed over 1100 bone marrow transplants to date. He was also the first to perform North India’s first Haploidentical (Half Match) Transplant.
- Dr. Rohan Halder: He was a senior resident, consultant, and senior consultant in bone marrow transplant in a reputed transplant centre previously. Now he is a Bone Marrow transplant consultant at BLK-Max. He is known for his patient-centred approach during treatment.
5. Check the Services That a Specialist Can Provide
Checking the services that a bone marrow transplant specialist provides is also essential. The service and the treatment for each patient might differ based on their condition. Besides, the bone marrow transplant cost in India can also vary depending on the treatment. At BLK Max, the bone marrow transplant doctors conduct the following treatment and surgeries after making the correct diagnoses for the disease.
- Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant
- Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplant
- Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplant
- Haploidentical Donor Transplant
- Umbilical Cord Blood Transplant
- Lymphoma BMT Cancer Program
- Reduced Intensity Transplant
By following the tips mentioned above, you can choose the right doctor for your bone marrow transplant. Remember to research the doctor thoroughly before consulting to make the right choice for your treatment. It is advisable to select among the doctors from the best transplant centre to be assured of high-quality treatment and comprehensive care.
Read More Blogs: