Activating Universal Account Number (UAN) is essential to make partial payments for education, illness, marriage, or buying a house through the balance in the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) account. The Ministry of Labour and Employment issued this 12-digit identification number to assist employees in generating information regarding the EPF account. Users can download the Umang application for Umang UAN activation and withdraw EPF money whenever required.
What Is a UAN Number?
The Employee Provident Fund Organisation provides an identification number to both the employer and the employee. This identification number is known as the UAN number. If a candidate switches to a new job, this UAN number stays constant; hence, employees can make UAN login into the EPF account and withdraw the money as per their needs.
How to Check the UAN Number?
There are two methods to find the UAN number:
- From the website
To check the UAN number from the website, you need to:
- Sign in to the UAN portal and make a UAN login.
- Press on the ‘Know your UAN status’ tab.
- You’ll be required to enter the basic details like PAN number and Aadhaar card number or fill up a form including the provident fund number.
- Then you need to select the EPFO office and the state.
- You’ll then be required to mention the date of birth, name, captcha code, and mobile number.
- Once done with filling the form, select ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- Enter the pin from your mobile number and validate the one-time password (OTP).
- Then press the UAN button to get the UAN number through a short message service (SMS).
- With the employer
The UAN number is mentioned in the salary slip. You can check the UAN number from the first salary slip that shows the salary excluding the PF contributions.
How to Generate the UAN Number?
You must get a UAN number if you belong to an organisation with more than 20 employees. Here’s how you can generate the UAN number:
- You need to make a UAN login to the EPF employer portal with the establishment ID and password.
- Then, go to the ‘Member’ section and press the ‘Register Individual’ tab.
- For the third step, you need to enter your bank details, permanent account number (PAN) and aadhaar card details.
- In the ‘Approval’ section, you have to confirm the details.
- The employer will link your PF account with the UAN number, and you will get your UAN number.
How to Activate the UAN Number?
Once you have the UAN number, you need to activate it. For this, you need to:
- Login to the UAN portal.
- Make a UAN login.
- Then you need to click on activate UAN.
- You can activate the UAN using PAN, UAN, and aadhaar numbers on the next page.
- Enter the details as asked and write your mobile number.
- You will receive a verification pin. Write the verification number in the slot provided and then press on Authorise and Activate.
How to Make Umang UAN Activation Through the Umang Application?
Another alternative way is by making Umang UAN activation. For this, you need to download an EPFO app or Umang app. This application has over 213 services, including the UAN services.
- Install the Umang application from the iOS or Android store.
- Then open the application and click on the ‘All Services’ application.
- There, you’ll find the ‘UAN services’ option.
- Click on it, and the Umang UAN activation page will appear.
- Enter the UAN no, full name, and date of birth in the next option.
- Then, write down your mobile number and email address.
- The system will generate an OTP and send it to your mobile number.
- Enter the OTP and tick the declaration box for effective Umang UAN activation.
By following these ways, you can activate the UAN number and make a UAN Login any time you prefer. Besides, these steps will help you track the EPF accounts, make partial PF withdrawals, view the EPF passbook, transfer EPF accounts and check EPFO claim status. So, if you have not yet activated the UAN number, do it now through the Umang application or from the website and avail of these benefits. Activating the UAN number will benefit you in the long run.